About

About IFEWU

The International Foundation for Ewha Womans University, Inc. (IFEWU) was established in 1970 to promote the spirit of cooperation among North American organizations, alumnae, and friends of Ewha in order to support the University.

In 1933, three Methodist missionaries and other friends met with Dr. Alice Appenzeller, the President of Ewha Woman’s College from 1922 to 1939, to organize a Cooperating Committee to help the school. The committee raised funds for the construction of new college buildings, enabling Ewha to move to its new Shinchon campus in March, 1935.

Dr. Helen Kim, who became the first Korean president of Ewha Womans University in 1939, initiated the first 10-year Development Plan in 1966. During the Korean War (1950 to 1953), the Methodist Board of Missions helped Ewha continue its operation at the refugee campus in Pusan. The Cooperating Committee (predecessor of the International Foundation) contributed greatly in the rehabilitation of damaged campus buildings, expediting the school’s return to Seoul.

Since that time, alumnae and friends have generously supported the development of the university through the International Foundation which was inaugurated in New York on April 15, 1970. The Foundation continues to carry out Dr. Helen Kim’s vision for Ewha’s internationalization.

이화여자대학교는 매리 스크랜튼 미감리교회 선교사들에 의해 1886 설립되었다. 1930년대에 앨리스 아펜젤러 당시 학장은 이화대학의 발전과 미래를 위하여, 미국인/캐나다인들로 구성된 이사회를 조직하고 기금을 조성하여, 신촌캠퍼스 시대를 열었다. 한국전쟁 중이던 1951, 이사회는 뉴욕에 <재미이화협동이사회>라는 법인체를 정식으로 등록하여 이화대학 지원을 본격화하였다. 전쟁 중에는 부산의피난캠퍼스 운영하였고, 전후에는 대강당 건축 폐허가 신촌캠퍼스 복구에 심혈을 기울였다

한편, 1960년대 들어 김활란 당시 이화학당 이사장은 미국에서 모금활동을 하기 위하여 미국인, 이화 졸업생, 이화의 사위들로 이루어진 <10년이화발전위원회> 발족시켰다. 이화여자대학교 국제재단은 <10년발전위원회> <재미이화협동이사회> 합병되면서, 1970 4 15 뉴욕에서 공식 출범하였다.

지난 50여년간, 이화국제재단은 165개의 장학기금으로 학생들을 후원해왔으며, 13개의 기타 기금과 학교의 각종 프로젝트 지원을 통해 이화대학의 발전을 도모해왔다.